Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Who inspires YOU?

I'm on vacation in DC right now which is where I had my first teaching job as a 5th grade general education teacher.  Today I had lunch with the fabulous lady who used to be my special education co-teacher back in the day - it was such an amazing treat.  I remember sitting on the floor of the hallway outside my classroom meeting with her to discuss the students we were going to share for the rest of the year.  I learned so much about special education from her and I think of her very often in my current role as being a special education teacher supporting students in a general education class.   Ms. Lemus is certainly not the last colleague who inspired me, but seeing her today and talking about our former students (now high schoolers!) was such a flashback.

I am so lucky to have so many teachers at my current school who inspire me all the time.  We plan together as a grade level team (3-4 general educators and 2 special educators) and truthfully, I don't know how I ever planned curriculum alone!  No idea that goes into our plan books is ever thought up by one person.  We plan with AT LEAST one teacher logged into Pinterest, one teacher logged into Brain Pop Jr., one teacher logged into YouTube, one teacher referencing last year's plans, and one teacher referencing our teacher's guides.  I always knew how smart and talented my teams were, but a weekly brainstorming session with them is always a fabulous reminder! (If you don't believe me, check out one of my stupendous colleagues, Vanessa, at her blog: Kindergarten Schmindergarten)

As I mentioned in my last post, my kids are an incredible inspiration - I love seeing how hardworking, accepting, inquisitive, silly, compassionate, creative, and all around AMAZING they can be when we give them the chance to show off their awesome selves.  (Yes, we're getting to that point in vacation where I miss my students!)

Who inspires you? Leave a comment and share!

Adie

No comments:

Post a Comment